All AMC Shows
Movies on AMC
Rio Bravo (1959)
Rio Bravo is a 1959 American Western film, directed by Howard Hawks. The script was written by Jules Furthman and Leigh Brackett, based on a short story by B.H. McCampbell. The movie stars John Wayne, Dean Martin, and Ricky Nelson, with Angie Dickinson, Walter Brennan, and Ward Bond. In the town of Rio Bravo, Texas, sheriff's deputy Dude (Dean Martin), who has acquired the contemptuous nickname "Borrachón", enters a saloon to get a drink. Joe Burdette (Claude Akins), brother of rancher Nathan Burdette, tosses a silver dollar into a spittoon at Dude's feet. As Dude reaches for the spittoon, Presidio County, Texas Sheriff John T. Chance (John Wayne) appears and kicks the spittoon away, looking at Dude with pity. Dude whacks Chance with a piece of wood, knocking the sheriff out cold. With two men holding Dude upright, Joe begins punching him, then shoots and kills an unarmed bystander who tries to intervene. Joe leaves the saloon and heads to his brother's saloon, where a bloody Chance arrests Joe for the murder of the bystander.
Online Content related to
- Movie History - And the Award for Biggest Oscar Snub Goes To...
- The Foolproof Courting Techniques of the Old West
- John Wayne Ultimate Fan Quiz
- James Bond and Dirty Harry Advance to Final Four of Enforcers Tournament
- Ultimate Fan Quiz - John Wayne
- In El Dorado, James Caan Refused to Play It Cool
- Western Movie Showdowns Photo Quiz
- Cowboys in Movies Quotes Quiz
- Westerns Ultimate Fan Quiz Part 2
- Flashback Five - John Wayne's Best Movies
- Flashback Five - John Wayne's Best Westerns
- The World According to John Wayne as Seen in The Duke's Top Ten Philosophical Quotes
- Ultimate Fan Quiz - John Wayne Results
- Flashback Five - Your Favorite John Wayne Movies
- When It Comes to the Greatest Westerns of All Time, Must John Wayne Steal All the Glory?
- Movie History - A Quick Guide to Westerns